Spreading the charm of SHIBUYA to the world, Shibuya Scramble Square is now open!
- On November 1, 2019, a large-scale complex “Shibuya Scramble Square” opened just above Shibuya Station.
The concept is “intermixing, creating, and transmitting to the world”. Shops, restaurants, industrial exchange facilities, and offices will gather to form a “SQUARE” where diverse people can “SCRAMBLE” and create new things.
Notable is the observation facility “SHIBUYA SKY”. The facility consists of 3 main zones: an ascending space from the 14th floor to the 45th floor “SKY GATE”, an indoor observation corridor “SKY GALLERY” on the 46th floor, and a rooftop observation deck “SKY STAGE”. The rooftop observation deck on the 47th floor is about 230 meters above ground, the highest in Shibuya. In addition, digital technology is added throughout the facility, and LED lights and stereophonic sound create a futuristic atmosphere.
- The SKY GATE’s elevators are dimly lit, and the video projected on the ceiling makes you feel like running through darkness. The addition of stereophonic sound that envelops the space accelerates the sense of running and floating.
If you get off at the elevator hall on the 45th floor and take an escalator, you will reach SKY STAGE on the 47th floor. It’s an unobstructed 360-degree panorama of the city. The view with an open feeling during the day is spectacular, but the program after sunset where 18 searchlights are aimed at the sky is also a must-see. With the night view in the background, the search lights whirl around the city sky in all directions. The breathtaking scenery is highly recommended.
- SHIBUYA SKY has a consistent story from the entrance to the rooftop observation deck, and it is the most talked-about spot where you can experience the view that has never been seen before.
The redevelopment enhances the “Entertainment City SHIBUYA”
- The opening of Shibuya Scramble Square is a part of an ongoing project to redevelop the area around Shibuya Station.
Under the slogan “Entertainment City SHIBUYA”, the redevelopment project plans to make Shibuya an increasingly diverse place where people and culture gather.
- The redevelopment also improved traffic flow in Shibuya. The area around Shibuya Station was divided into north, south, east, and west by the JR Line and arterial roads, and station facilities became complicated due to repeated relocation, extension, and reconstruction, which many people must have felt annoyed. During the redevelopment, a pedestrian deck was installed on the ground near the station, improving ease of movement. In addition, the platforms for the JR Saikyo Line and the Tokyo Metro Ginza Line will be relocated, making it easier for passengers to change trains. By improving the traffic around the station, many people will be able to enjoy the city more smoothly.
- Redevelopment of Shibuya will become more and more heated. Please see for yourself how the city of Shibuya will evolve.