“If you wanted delicious ingredients,
they were 60-70% locally-produced”
- Fukuoka’s Nakasu is widely known to be Kyushu’s top entertainment district. A short way from its glittering heart is Nishi-Nakasu, which has transformed into a place to enjoy more a more relaxed and sophisticated time, with a succession of tucked-away restaurants opening in recent years.
- The hugely popular restaurant ‘La Maison de la Nature Goh,’ which opened in a corner of this district in 2002, has been ranked as one of Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants for two years in a row. It can be regarded as something of a pioneer in creating the current face of Nishi-Nakasu.
- “When we opened, the atmosphere of the streets around here had a motley feel to them, unlike today,” recalls owner-chef Takeshi Fukuyama. He goes on to talk of Fukuoka’s attractions. “In Fukuoka we can get hold of an abundance of delicious ingredients from all over Kyushu. Our original style of French cuisine incorporates some Japanese touches; for example, we use a lot of locally-sourced food, and our tableware and serving bowls are Arita porcelain ware.”
- That combined with being selected as one of Asia’s top fifty restaurants means that 30% of his customers are tourists from overseas.
- “The food and ingredients in Fukuoka are wonderful, and the people are warm and friendly. Above all it’s fun talking to people from Fukuoka because they love their city. On my days off I myself like to go around Fukuoka trying different food.” There is no doubt Fukuoka is pivotal to his life. As for his future objectives:“I’m scrambling about with the idea of opening a new restaurant in Fukuoka in partnership with another chef selected for Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants.”
La Maison de la Nature Goh
Address: 2-26 Nishinakasu Chuo-ku,Fukuoka-shi